As a responsible pet owner it is important to do what you must to keep your pet healthy and safe for years to come.
Our precious pets are our best friend and certainly a cherished member of our family. Insure years of unconditional love, pleasure and excitement by learning how to keep your pet healthy. Here are several pet health tips.
10 Pet Health Tips to Keep Your Pet Safe and Healthy
- It is imperative to have your dog tested for heartworm disease before beginning preventive medicine. Get more information about heartworm disease from your veterinarian.
- The same way you would child proof your home for a small child, you would do the same for your pet to avoid serious injuries and fatalities.
- Preventive vaccinations and early detection of diseases are the keys to successfully avoiding serious illnesses for your pet,
- Your veterinarian will consider what stage of life your pet is and recommend the right kind of food and physical activity that can add to the quality of your pet’s life and avoid obesity.
- Keep your dog on a leash when running to avoid accidents that can happen in seconds and always use reflectors for visibility at night.
- To avoid dehydration, give your pet water before and after a long walk and exercise outdoors.
- Have yearly veterinary visits. It’s very critical for pet owners to realize that senior dogs are susceptible to getting many of the illnesses a human can get, such as arthritis, osteoarthritis, kidney, heart, and liver disease; tumors and cancers; hormone disorders such as diabetes and thyroid imbalance; etc
- Know what foods and substances are harmful to your pet. Eating chocolate, certain plant such as mistletoes and one lick of anti freeze is extremely dangerous to your pet.
- Never leave your pets in a hot car. The temperature rises quickly even in the shade.
- Go to MedicationCard.org and get your free discount prescription card to save money on your pet’s prescriptions and keep your pet healthy with needed pet meds. Many pets are put down from illnesses when necessary medications are too expensive.